Monday, February 1, 2016

Cornerfolds Dystopian Reading Challenge 2016 - Book 7: Article 5 by Kristen Simmons



Title: Article 5 (Article 5, #1)
Author: Kristen Simmons
Publication Date: January 31st, 2012
Publisher: Tor Teen
Pages: 362

New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C., have been abandoned.

The Bill of Rights has been revoked, and replaced with the Moral Statutes.

There are no more police—instead, there are soldiers. There are no more fines for bad behavior—instead, there are arrests, trials, and maybe worse. People who get arrested usually don't come back.

Seventeen-year-old Ember Miller is old enough to remember that things weren't always this way. Living with her rebellious single mother, it's hard for her to forget that people weren't always arrested for reading the wrong books or staying out after dark. It's hard to forget that life in the United States used to be different.

Ember has perfected the art of keeping a low profile. She knows how to get the things she needs, like food stamps and hand-me-down clothes, and how to pass the random home inspections by the military. Her life is as close to peaceful as circumstances allow.

That is, until her mother is arrested for noncompliance with Article 5 of the Moral Statutes. And one of the arresting officers is none other than Chase Jennings—the only boy Ember has ever loved. -Book Details Courtesy of Goodreads, INC. 2016

This was a good book.  There was never a chapter that I was not interested.  Some books it takes a bit to get you involved, but others like this one get you from the beginning.

We meet Ember Miller, a girl living in a post-world society.  Basic rights have been removed and in their place a set of "Articles" on how life is supposed to be lived.  You can be fined and arrested for simple infractions...but what is worse you can be jailed and executed if the new ruling regime thinks you violated an article.

Ember's mom is arrested and Ember is sent to a reform school as an "Article 5" violater, which basically meant her mom had her without being married.  The shocking part for her is that the guy that is helping arrest her is a boy she once loved, Chase.  Why is he here? What is he doing?  Ember then decides that she is going to escape and find her mother.

Will she find her mother? What will happen with Chase?  Well, read the book, because if I say to much I will give the book away.  Solid read all around.


6 comments:

  1. I've been so curious about this series. Needless to say, it's been on my TBR for almost two years! Pathetic, I know. I'm so glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That book was really good. I am excited to read the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, I haven't heard of this one before. It sounds really interesting, though--a dystopia based on moral law. Kind of like The Giver, though this sounds a bit darker. Might have to take a look into this.

    By the way...

    Because I think your blog is awesome, I've nominated you for the 2016 Liebster Award!

    If you want to know more about this award and how to spread the love, you can find rules and information here: http://feelyourbooks.blogspot.com/2016/02/the-liebster-award-2016.html

    Congratulations! I look forward to checking out your response. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently add it to my "consider" GR shelf. Thanks for the review. I need all the help I can get to decide what to read :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moriah - Thank you so much for the recognition. It delights me to no end to know people are enjoying my blog, because isn't that all of our goals? I will get that link filled-out and let you know!

    Daniela - If you ever need a suggestion, just let me know! I read a lot and a litle bit of everything. So many good books out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard much about this series but it looks kinda good. I'm stopping by from the Dystopian challenge. Thought I'd say hi :)

    Megan @ Doodles 'n Scribbles

    ReplyDelete