Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Cornerfolds Dystopian Reading Challenge 2016 - Book 8: Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi



Title: Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Publication Date: November 15th, 2011
Publisher: Harper
Pages: 338

I have a curse
I have a gift

I am a monster
I'm more than human

My touch is lethal
My touch is power

I am their weapon
I will fight back

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior. - Book Details Courtesy of Goodreads, INC. 2016.

Like woah people.  What a grab you and pull you in kind of book.

Readers meet Juliette, a 17-year old girl in jail for something she had no control over doing.  They claimed she murdered someone and has been in basically solitary confinement for hundreds of days.  Then one day her cell opens and she gets a roommate...not just any roommate, but a man.  This man is a test, a test Juliette thinks is cruel...like they are trying to get rid of her.

But Juliette has a power, a very dangerous power.  So dangerous in fact that no one can touch her, or at least she thinks so.  She is pulled from her cell and cleaned up to meet Warner, a military madman who is set on using her powers to create fear among the public.  The plans go wrong when she escapes with the man that was sent to test her, her roommate.

Can she escape the crazed plans and be free? Maybe.

I love the character of Juliette, she is so misunderstood.  They see her power as terror and no one wants to even make her feel human until Adam.  He befriends her and I guess you could say saves her sanity.  Warner, he is the typical villan of the book.  There is some connection between Adam and Warner I have yet to figure out.  The cause of the stain between their relationship.  I cannot wait to see where the story and the plot goes with this series.


Cannot wait to dive into book #2!


1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. :) This was a solid 4-star start to a dystopian series for me as well. Juliette's broken mind and the beautiful writing totally sold everything else for me. And I just felt like I was flying through it at the time. So gripping.

    I actually just got done reading book 2, Unravel Me, and plan on having my review up soon. I'm interested in seeing what you think of it when you move on with the series. For me, it didn't exactly live up to the promise of the first book, but I'm still holding out for a strong conclusion in Ignite Me. We shall see!

    ReplyDelete